The Nine Lives of Chloe King
Chloe King, is a teenager who discovers she has special cat-like powers, including nine lives, enhanced speed, strength, hearing, agility, night vision and the ability to extend her nails like cat claws, along with the ability to sense human emotions. When Chloe realizes a mysterious figure is shadowing her, she goes on to uncover that she is a descendant of an ancient race called the Mai. She discovers she has nine lives and is told by Jasmine and Alek that she may be the key to protecting the race from human assassins, who have hunted them for thousands of years.
- Season 1
- Chloe King (Skyler Samuels) is a descendant of an ancient race called the Mai. She is believed to be the savior of the Mai race, with extra abilities and the gift of nine lives, making her the “Uniter”, a warrior in a prophecy that states that she must save the world and both the Mai and Human races, and stop their war. She is originally from Ukraine, but was brought to the United States by the man who became her adoptive father and may know of her powers.
- Alek Petrov (Benjamin Stone) is one of the descendants of the Mai race and Jasmine’s cousin who reveals himself to Chloe to protect her. Alek attempted to kiss Chloe in the first episode, but was stopped by Jasmine before he could. He acts as her protector, and helps keep her from harm. His parents were killed by the Order. He has a habit of cracking jokes and teasing Chloe about aspects of the Mai’s abilities and attributes. Alek eventually ends up falling in love with Chloe. In episode 7, Alek comes to Chloe, tells her that they belong together and kisses her. Before the episode ends, Chloe kisses him back. Alek goes to Paul and seeks advice on how to woo Chloe. Paul reveals that there is nothing more important to Chloe than her friends. Later, Alek tells Chloe that he wants the duty of Chloe’s protecter to be removed so that if Chloe ever ends up in trouble he can be there because he wants to, not because he has to. It is revealed in the season 1 finale that Zane is his brother.
- Meredith King (Amy Pietz) is the mother of Chloe King. Her husband found Chloe and decided to adopt her but later left her, making Meredith a single parent.
- Amy (Grace Phipps) is one of Chloe’s best friends. She started dating Paul, the final member of the trio, in the first episode. They broke up briefly, but soon realized one fight wasn’t enough to keep them apart.
- Paul (Ki Hong Lee) is one of Chloe’s best friends and is dating Amy. He is shown to be somewhat of a comic book geek, being very excited when Chloe develops her powers. He is the only one out of Chloe’s group of human friends who believe from the beginning that her powers were a gift, not a curse, and demanded to be Chloe’s ‘sidekick’.
- Jasmine (Alyssa Diaz) is one of the descendants of the Mai race who seeks to protect Chloe, the savior of their race. Her mother Valentina is the leader of the San Francisco Mai. Throughout the first season, Jasmine reveals that she has struggled to earn her mother’s approval. In the season 1 finale Jasmine is stabbed by Zane and appears to be dying next to her mother.
- Brian Rezza (Grey Damon) is a friend and lover to Chloe and also the son of the man who is attempting to kill Chloe to wipe out the Mai civilization. He is referred to as “kitty hat” by Amy, because Chloe met Brian by selling him a hat with cat ears. Brian and Chloe have a very complicated relationship due to Chloe’s inability to “get intimate” with humans, lest they die or become paralyzed. Brian admits to loving Chloe, but Chloe tells him they are to be “just friends” Brian catches Chloe kissing Alek and becomes angered that she does not return his feelings. He continues to see Chloe as friends, which in turn angers Alek, who doesn’t understand why Chloe still has feelings for Brian. Brian pushes and punches Alek, which deeply angers Chloe, due to her protection of friends. Brian tells her later that he acted so physically because “it was him,” meaning that Alek was the one who had first wounded Chloe’s and Brian’s friendship. In the season 1 finale it appears that he dies because he kissed Chloe.